Heritage, Sports, Tourism & Culture
The Ford PC Government understands the importance of heritage, sport, tourism and culture to the financial and social health of the province.
Investments in Heritage, Sport, Tourism & Culture are essential as they influence society by changing opinions, instilling values, encouraging healthy lifestyles, boosting the economy’s revenue, and creating jobs.
- The Ford PC Government is expanding critical support for the tourism sector by waiving approximately $2 million in licencing and permit fees for businesses in 2021 and 2022 in the amusement and ski industries.
- $1.5 million to the Toronto Public Library to deliver free online teaching, reference and lifelong learning resources to library users across the province.
- $4.8 million to upgrade broadband in unserved and underserved communities at public libraries.
- New fundraising options for Legions to allow them to host small stakes games such as bridge euchre and bingo. Legions and charities will also benefit from new opportunities to fundraise through progressive jackpot (loonie and toonie) raffle lotteries.
- $6 million in 2022-23 for seniors’ community grant funding to assist community organizations, municipalities, and Indigenous organizations in applying for programs that help seniors stay safe, healthy, active, and connected to friends, family, and community.
- $1 million to support the expansion of Science North into Thunder Bay with a new 33,750 square-foot facility in Thunder Bay.
- $1.2 million to the City of Thunder Bay to further develop a cruise ship docking infrastructure.
- $477,375 to the Municipality of Oliver Paipoonge to build a car museum.
- $57,671 to the Lappe Ski Centre.
- $934,875 to the Mount Baldy Ski Hill expansion.
- 4551,276 to the City of Thunder Bay for the Scotties Tournament event infrastructure.
- $1,000,000 to the City of Thunder Bay for indoor racquet sports event infrastructure.
- $760,000 to Black Sheep Mountain Bike Club biking tourism infrastructure.
- $50,000 to Atikokan Friends of White Otter Castle restoration project.
“Being a mayor has provided me with an understanding of the important role that these investments have in creating vibrant and sustainable communities.” – Kevin Holland